98 The Beach

98 The Beach


Thursday, February 20, 2020

Fire In Owen Sound Apartment

Owen Sound | by Claire McCormack  

Owen Sound firefighters say a candle being used during a power outage caused a fire.

Owen Sound firefighters say a candle being used during a power outage caused a fire in a third floor apartment in a building on the city's west side.

Police say it happened at about 11 Wednesday night when a candle that was knocked over in the bathroom, lit a towel on fire and then quickly spread throughout the bathroom.

Police say the occucpants tried to put out the flames but were unsuccessful, and tenants of the building helped one another get out without injury.

Owen Sound Firefighters were able to extinguish the fire and contain the damage to the bathroom and two bedrooms of the unit. They were also able to rescue two of three cats in the apartment, but the third cat died.

Meanwhile, police say paramedics were on scene and medically cleared the three occupants of the apartment.  Victim Services attended to assist the mother and her two young children and a family member arrived to provide transportation and shelter.

City police say It is estimated the fire caused several thousands of dollars in damages to the apartment.

Owen Sound firefighters advise you to avoid using candles during a power outage and to instead use flashights or other battery powered lights. They also have some tips for using candles. They say to use a candleholder with a sturdy base. Blow out candles when you leave the room, avoid using them in rooms where people sleep. They say to not burn candles all the way down to the holder at its base and to never burn a candle if oxygen is used in the home.

 

share this story



Bayshore Broadcasting Corporation
© 2020 Bayshore Broadcasting Corporation

Web Site by Websmart Inc