A local family is still dealing with the aftermath of a fire that destroyed their home near Oliphant late last month, and nearly cost them their lives.
The fire is not being treated as suspicious.
Members of the Kimball-Renouf family remain in hospital in London with serious injuries including serious burns and lung damage from smoke damage, according to Office Administrator at South-Port Mechanical/Geothermal Diahanne Thomson.
48-year-old Nicole Renouf is reportedly being treated for serious burns, 44-year-old Nyk Kimball suffered from smoke inhalation, and 18-year-old Cassie Renouf was in a separate building on the property during the fire.
This week, 17-year-old Jared Kimball, a student at Owen Sound District Secondary School (OSDSS), was moved from the Intensive Care Unit (ICU) to the burn unit. His condition has been upgraded, but Thomson says that he ''still has a long way to go'' on the path to recovery.
Wendal and Wilford, the family's dogs, passed away in the fire.
Nyk Kimball is a long-time employee at South-Port, and Diahanne says that she and the team have been checking in to make sure everyone is okay.
Diahanne says that the family did not have insurance, but Deb Diebel (Dee-bull), a manager at the Outdoor Education Centre near the family's home has been collecting furniture, household items, and anything the family might need. Thomson says that Diebel has collected enough stuff now to fill an entire house, with more donations pouring in daily.
The GoFundMe page set up for the family has reached nearly $7000. You can donate here.