Ahead of the holiday season, Operation Christmas Child is back and collecting shoe boxes full of donated items for children in developing countries.
Our local boxes this year will be headed to Haiti, Senegal, El Salvador, Chile, Uruguay, and Ukraine.
Operation Christmas Child has suggestions for donors looking for gift ideas:
- Wow Items: typically a medium sized item like a deflated ball with a pump, stuffed animals or shoes
- Small Toy Items: toy cars, a yo-yo or jump rope
- School Supplies: writing utensils, notebooks or paper, coloring or picture books
- Hygiene Items: tooth brushes, bar of soap, or combs
- Accessories: t-shirts, socks, hats, sunglasses, or hair clips
- Do Not Include: candy, toothpaste, used or damaged items, any toys that promote violence (toy guns, knives, military figures) any food, liquids, medications/vitamins, anything fragile like snow globes, aerosol cans.
The shoe boxes should be filled with 1/3rd school supplies, 1/3rd hygiene items, and 1/3rd toys or something to play with.
They are requesting a $10 dollar donation to help cover the cost of shipping.
The project is organized by the Samaritan’s Purse, a Christian humanitarian aid.
Local pick up locations for shoe boxes include: 98 The Beach, Square Deal Neil's, Salvation Army, Joyce's Porch, Port Elgin Missionary Church, TD Bank, Turtle Crossing, Shoreline Baptist Church, and more!
The deadline to submit your shoe box is November 12th, 2018.