Ontario's Carbon Monoxide Awareness Week runs from November 1-7, and fire officials around the province are reminding you to prevent carbon monoxide (CO) in your home by getting all fuel-burning appliances inspected annually.
Visit COSafety.ca to find a registered contractor near you.
You should install CO alarms in your home if you have a fuel-burning appliance, a fireplace or an attached garage.
Fuel-burning appliances can include furnaces, hot water heaters, gas or wood fireplaces, portable fuel-burning heaters and generators, barbeques, stoves and vehicles.
What is Carbon Monoxide?
CO is known as the silent killer because it is an invisible, tasteless and odourless gas that can be deadly.
It is produced when fuels such as propane, gasoline, natural gas, heating oil or wood do not burn completely in fuel-burning appliances and devices such as furnaces, gas or wood fireplaces, hot water heaters, stoves, barbeques, portable fuel-burning heaters and generators and vehicles.
Exposure to CO can cause flu-like symptoms such as headaches, nausea, dizziness, as well as confusion, drowsiness, loss of consciousness and death.
If your CO alarm sounds, and you or other occupants suffer from symptoms of CO poisoning, get everyone out of the home immediately. Then call 911 or your local emergency services number from outside the building.
Carbon monoxide (CO) awareness week runs Nov. 1-7. Install CO alarms in your home if you have a fuel-burning appliance. Fuel-burning appliances can include furnaces, hot water heaters, portable fuel-burning heaters and generators, barbeques, stoves and vehicles. #COsafety pic.twitter.com/SpRXHQH0fM— City of Owen Sound (@CityOwenSound) November 1, 2018